Sunday 13 November 2011

Story of my life.

So here we are trying to get through Chapter 21 and it is already tough. Looking after the Frog while trying to study is hard going (as I'm sure any new mum who decides to embark on a new challenge will tell you). I've not returned to work yet, and the next few months / years are going to be really hard work. I know that, it will be a struggle to manage everything but I'm not going to be naive, I'm going to have a fight on my hands, but I can not lose sight of the goal. I can not let it fall through my fingers. I need to keep the momentum up and my dreams alive.

Here is a true story......

When I was about 19/20years old I was studying for a HND in Sport Science.  I wanted to be a Sports Development Officer at Manchester City Council. It was really hard to get into that type of work, and the only way really was to be a professional sports person (which I was not) or, to have a good level of voluntary work under your belt. It was a way-in, so I applied to the Sports Disability Trust through Josie Cichockyi (an athlete that I was lucky enough to know back then).

Early into the Summer I was bumming about at my parents house watching Richard and Judy, there was a competition on, so I called the 0898 number (sorry Mum & Dad) and left my answer. It was one of those phone in's where the caller answers a bunch of questions and wins a thousand pounds for each correct answer. So I left my name and number after the beep, and returned to dunking biscuits in my tea.

To my utter surprise, a lady from ITV called me back. I had got down to the final three callers, I was to leave my phone line open for the next 20 minutes, and if I was successful, someone would call me back. I couldn't believe it, eeeeeeeeekkkk  I was going to be on Richard and Judy!!!!  After 10 minutes, the phone rang...

It was Josie. There was a summer camp being run through the City Council, for kids with disabilities. There was one spot left for some coaching work, I couldn't believe it. What could I do???? I couldn't tell her to get off the phone, this was a call I had been waiting for, I really needed this work. I turned down the TV and paid attention to what she was saying. As I took down details of the job, I watched Barbara* from Northern Ireland win £14,000 in the Richard and Judy Competition.

I worked all summer as a voluntary coach, and I had a blast. The children were amazing and it was so rewarding, I honestly loved it. I still made the odd call to day time TV, but I never again got a recall, and never again came so close to £14,000.

The story of my life. It was a good lesson. Nothing is going to be handed to me on a plate, I'm going to have to work bloody hard to get what I want, but I can have a great time doing it.

Keep the dream alive. #chapter 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment